Monday, September 23, 2013

What is uninsured and underinsured motorist bodily injury?

Part of your auto insurance liability is coverage called uninsured and underinsured liability.  

According to Insurance Research Council 1 in 7 vehicles on the road today is uninsured.  If you are hit by one of these uninsured vehicles you have liability coverage under your auto policy.

Examples of what uninsured motorists bodily injury covers:
  • medical expenses
  • lost wages
  • pain and suffering
  • and more…

Also this limit also covers you if at fault party (person that hit you) does have insurance but not enough insurance.  

What does not enough insurance mean?  Every state has a minimum state requirements for bodily injury coverage.  Vermont minimum state requirements for bodily injury is $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident.  If at fault party has low liability limits your underinsured liability will cover your losses.

For example.  At fault party only has limit of liability insurance of $25,000 per person.  They hit you, but your medical expenses, physical therapy and lost wages amount to $75,000.  Other party’s insurance will cover $25,000, your insurance will cover $50,000.

Uninsured and underinsured bodily injury coverage also covers you if you get hit by uninsured or underinsured vehicle while you walk, ride your bike etc.

If you have any questions or you want to know more about this coverage e-mail or call me.

Irfan Sehic
Insurance Agent
Green Insurance Agency
PO Box 640
Burlington, VT 05402
Tel: (802) 505-1054